Are you aspiring for a career in Tourism and Hospitality sector? Here is a golden oppurtunity to start a two-years journey with HTMi Switzerland at your door steps at Polytechnics Mauritius. The Diploma offer a 50:50 experience where our students learn both in campus and in industry. What will you learn? Starting from the Housekeeping to the kitchen department, you will learn all the key areas in the hotel sector. Future opportunities to pursue your Advanced Diploma at HTMi International Campus or here in Mauritius.
2 Years Full Time & Part-Time
|1 Year||English for Academic Purposes 2|
|Room Division Operations|
|Hotel and Resort Business Enterprise|
|Food and Beverage Management|
|Hospitality Enterprise Project 2|
|German Language 2/Mandarin 2|
|Introduction to Marketing|
|Beverage and Wine Studies|
|Introduction to Event Management|
Students are eligible for a semester for credit abroad, cultural exchange programs and for change of campus based on specific criteria. This is processed on a case by case basis. Upon successfully clearing the Diploma program, student may opt to complete to their Higher Diploma and Bachelor program at HTMi Switzerland. Conditions apply
The Internship Program
The internship program is regarded as a fundamental part of the Polytechnics Mauritius system. Having already gone through specific training skills on campus in various hospitality departments, the interns are to be exposed again to them but this time in real life condition. This is where interns are perfecting their skills through repetition and continuous assessment. Hotels will have interns train on site for a period of up to 6 months.
An internship is generally regarded as a temporary position, where a person is being evaluated on his/her skills and knowledge on a set period of time generally (2 – 3 months).
The internship must in principle be applicable to the students, with personal career interest and vocational courses of study set as a link between academic studies and the world of work. After completion of the internship, students are in a better position to make apprised decisions about their vocation and therefore enhance their employability after graduation.
The objectives of the Internship are:
- To provide the students with the appropriate experience, which in order for it to be successful they will have to accomplish several activities and undertake other relevant responsibilities under supervision.
- To guide students to follow their career interests and to help them to progress from PML to the world of work.
- To gain an understanding of the requirements of the workplace, including teamwork, communication skills, punctuality, meeting deadlines, following instructions, respect for organisational structure and hierarchy amongst others.
- To guide students in making informed decisions in order to improve their marketability after graduation.
- To offer students the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills acquired at PML to the workplace.
- To train and prepare high-level graduates with knowledge and skills requirements for the future of the Mauritian hospitality industry.
The Signature Internship Program
- PML internship is not an extension from an academic program, it is part of a whole system which benefits the student. This is provided with balancing academic, training in house as well as an internship programs for the student.
- Signature Internship Programs differ from the regular internships in that students who have demonstrated outstanding leadership skills may be called upon or selected by industry partners to onboard a special internship program, with a higher degree of responsibility and regular mentoring meetings with a member of the Management. The intern will also benefit from greater flexibility over his/her internship.
How is an internship at PML different?
The internship is student-centered at PML. Students get to spend proportionately more time in Industry to increase their level of understanding, preparedness and familiarity to the world of work.
The PML internship is different from the traditional approach of academic and internship system, by having the students apply academic understanding and in-house training skills achieved at the campus to the real world of work. The students from PML combine a mix of academic approach, in-house training from international and national industry experts mix with the internship placements into hotels.
Who can host our students?
- PML carefully selects the very best hotels around the island in order to provide the students with the highest level of training and supervision. But in the end, this happens on a matching basis whereby hotels will interview students and will pick and choose among the existing pool. This introduces an element of competition among fellow students and they have to strive to get their first choice.
- This is a time for the student to put his/her best foot forward to land the internship of choice.
How to manage the Internship program?
- There are several aspects of the internship program which are necessary in order for the student to gain the maximum from his/her experience.
What are the compulsory work areas to transmit core skills?
At least a month in each department (F&B housekeeping and front office) and the rest in the mutually agreed department by the student, the hotel and PML. An insertion in every department is required for the student to be exposed to all facets that make up a hotel. A theoretical understanding of other departments does not suffice. Only that which is practiced may be perfected.
2 A-Levels or O-Level Pass with 5 years of experience in the industry
|Application Fee: Rs 1,000
Admin Fee: Rs 4,500
Free Tuition Fee*
If you have not completed any recognized Certificate, Diploma or Degree before, then you will definitely enjoy the privilege under the Free Tertiary Education Scheme (FTES) for the whole duration of course, offered by the Ministry of Education, Tertiary Education, Science and Technology. Only Application and Administration fee will be applicable.
|We offer competitive international fees. Kindly contact the student affair officer on ‘firstname.lastname@example.org’ for more information.|